COVID 19 IN RWANDA
Covid 19 is a serious disease that affects upper respiratory system of an individual. It is caused by corona virus which is a group of viruses that are found in a family of “coronaviridae” and it affects both animals and human of all ages. The Covid 19 affected a large number in the world including Rwanda which is every day changing. And this cause the world to be afraid of the pandemic disease that cause an increased number of deaths in Rwanda and worldwide. Mainly the break of Covid19 starts in Wuhan, China in December 2019 where first infected person was found. According to laboratory investigation done by researchers, it is believed that the corona virus comes from animals which transmit the virus causing disease to human. This truly mean Covid 19 was classified as “Zoonotic disease”. First case in Rwanda found in 26th march 2020.
Clinical manifestation of corona virus in human
As covid19 have some similar signs and symptoms like common cold and/ or other respiratory disease, an individual can be mistaken in the confirmation of the disease. Most signs and symptoms found:
- Shortness of breath
- And any other respiratory symptom secondary to fever
How does Rwanda define a case?
Case in Rwanda is referred to a client where client are of 3 types.
- Suspected case: a patient with fever plus one of respiratory signs and symptoms who have history of traveling in areas where corona virus is community transmitted, during 14 before the onset of symptoms.
- Probable case: is a suspected case with unclear laboratory results from laboratory test of the corona virus.
- Confirmed case: is a patient with confirmed test of corona virus without respecting the signs and symptoms of covid 19.
Losses caused by covid19 pandemic disease in Rwanda
Almost all sectors of work in Rwanda were affected by covid 19.
- It slows down the economic activity of Rwanda due to some preventive measures and protocols set to prevent the spreading of the virus in a whole country, here we can include “Guma mu rugo, reach at home at 7PM”. This cause loss of public revenues where some taxed organization and entrepreneurs was stopped to work due to covid19.
Measures and policies set by rwandan government in this pandemic disease.
Rwanda took powerful policies and measures including:
- Wearing face mask.
- Washing hand by using soap and water or use of hand sanitizer.
- Social distancing by including 1 meter between 2 people in the same area.
- Going outside of home for a specific purpose.
- Reaching at home at 7PM
- Trained healthcare workers are responsible of caring all cases.
- Use of personnel protective equipment by health care workers
- Use of robots in daily care for a patient with confirmed covid19.
Treatment given to the patient
Now days, the exact cure of covid19 is not yet found, no vaccine yet found. Affected patients are isolated from the rest people where they are cared by healthcare work by responding to the response of disease in a client. Medication use in Rwanda includes:
- Oxygen therapy,
- Antipyretics drugs to reduce fever
- Anti-cough drugs to relieve coughing.
Number of new cases and death found in Rwanda are changing every day. By working together and following rules and regulations, polices and measures of our government of Rwanda we can prevent ourselves from spreading of corona virus in our country.
Case, T., & Africa, E. (n.d.). Impact Assessment of Covid-19.
East, M., Syndrome, R., Acute, S., & Syndrome, R. (2019). CORONAVIRUS DISEASE ( COVID-19 ) OUTBREAK : RIGHTS , ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF HEALTH WORKERS , INCLUDING KEY CONSIDERATIONS FOR OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY.
Global, T., & Alert, O. (2020). Coronavirus disease 2019 ( COVID-19 ). 2019(April).
How to Protect Yourself and Others Know how it spreads. (2019). 2019.
Numbers, S. I. N. (2020). Coronavirus disease 2019 ( COVID-19 ). 2019(April).
UNDP Rwanda. (2020). March, 10027.
Writer : MUKESHIMANA Devotha from Nursing and midwifery / Rwamagana campus
Albert13 September 2020 10:21
Irahibereye14 September 2020 01:06
Abisange Iragena Sandrine14 September 2020 23:01